Bellingham and Whatcom County Area Activities
In the house, we provide a list of our Whatcom County favorites. If you would like to get this by e-mail in advance of your stay for planning, please just ask!
Our area of the County is an outdoor enthusiast’s delight. Our property is a few minutes drive from walks along the shores of Lake Whatcom, through Whatcom Falls Park, along the Nooksack River, through Northridge Park to Big Rock Sculpture Garden, in Bloedel Donovan Park and on top of Toad Mountain. In addition, there are many other parks and natural areas not far from us. Park settings range from coast marine tidelands to lake shores to the beautiful Canada-US Peace Arch Park (http://www.cob.org/services/recreation/parks-trails/index.aspx).
In addition to walking, you can enjoy:
- Breweries galore!
- Hiking (many choices, and some of the best in North America)
- Swimming in Lake Whatcom (five minutes away) or at the Aquatic Center with a giant slide
- Visiting Vancouver Canada
- Kayaking & Canoeing (the Nooksack is only five minutes away)
- Beach exploration
- Birdwatching (from the back porch, the beach, and in parks; eagles are a highlight in winter)
- Visiting working farms
- Farmer’s Market (Saturdays and Wednesdays most of the year)
- Art galleries & sculpture gardens
- Mountain biking (Galbraith Mountain is only ten minutes away)
- Museums (including the new Lightcatcher Museum)
- Scenic drives
- Boat to the San Juan Islands & whale watching
- Wonderful restaurants
- Casinos (three in our area)
- Horseback riding (7 minutes away)
- Fairhaven Historic District
- Theater and comedy
- Music in abundant variety
- River rafting
- Skiing & Snowboarding
- Country restaurants
- Cross country skiing
- Wineries and winetasting, including three wineries in our own neighborhood, Mt. Baker Vineyards, Vartanyan Estate Winery, Willow Tree Vineyards, Inyo Winery, and Samson Estates Winery Private tastings for your group can be arranged.
- Explore the San Juan Islands; the short ferry to beautiful Lummi Island is only 20 minutes away
- Go berry picking or sample delicious local produce at nearby organic farms